Saturday, November 2, 2013

No Shame November

 
 
I have been absent in my writing for a while now and it's not that I don't have ideas but it's that I've been so darn busy.  With the kids, and the job and the life and all, it starts to wear a girl out, ya know? But now I'm back and, boy, do I have a challenge for you!
 
Quite some time ago, a reader sent a request that I write something to the tune of a letter to myself in the past.  Like a Dear 16 year-old self, kind of thing.  I thought it was a fabulous idea at the time and so I stashed that thought in my back pocket and today I starting thinking about it again.  I was thinking about what would I write to my younger self and what I would say.   Then I thought some more about how I sometimes get the best ideas and inspiration from my friends and readers.  And just like that, the idea hit me!  A READER'S CHALLENGE!
 
Indeed, I want to hear from you, readers!   I know that you all have a story to tell and I can't tell you how much I love a story written in a letter form!
 
What I am wanting you to do is think about a pivotal point in your life.  Maybe it was when you met your spouse, had your first child, moved away from home, lost a loved one or made a major life choice.  Whatever your pivotal point is, I want you to write a letter to yourself at that point in your life. 
  • What would you say to yourself? 
  • What advice would you offer? 
  • What things would you change, or would you? 
  • Would you tell yourself to run fast the other way or would you pat yourself on the back for a job well done?
  • Would you offer words of encouragement or tell yourself to snap out of it?
We all have an important time in our lives where we could have taken a different path, done something differently or responded in a different manner.  Let us inspire one another with our stories. When you write your letter, I want you to be shameless in your delivery.  I want you to be brave and honest with yourself.  Tapping into what choices we have made and coming to terms with those choices can have a very healing and calming effect.  Trust me when I say that writing can be very therapeutic for the soul. 
 
So, women and men of all ages, I challenge you tap into your inner "Dalai Mama" and have a great conversation with yourself.  If you haven't done anything for yourself in a while, I challenge you.  After you put the kids to bed, finish your homework, or get off work, I challenge you to sit down and write yourself a letter.  I challenge you to write for just 5 minutes, to get started.  I promise that once you start, it will be hard to stop until you're finished.  
 
So here is how it is going to work:
 
You will dedicate some thoughtful reflection time to yourself and write your letter.  You can send your submission to me by emailing me at dalaimamablog@gmail.com.   I will be accepting submissions for your letter to your younger self from Sunday, Nov. 3 until Sunday, Nov. 17 at 10pm.  Once I have had time to review your submissions, I will post your letters on Dalai Mama.  If you choose to remain anonymous, I will respect that and your name and likeness will not be included. 
 
I can't wait to hear your letters.  I will be working on mine and it will be posted by tomorrow, Nov. 3 on Dalai Mama.  Now, get to writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment